This is an unprecedented time when the voices of young people are being elevated and honored on a national level. Your passion and wisdom are palpable forces for change. We invite you to join a network of young people who are emerging into leadership positions, and your adult partners, to further develop your skill as an agent of change in the work of leading yourself, leading others, and changing our world. This forum will elevate youth voice and youth-adult partnership in learning and decision-making in schools and in social justice, environmental and sustainability issues on a local, state, and national level.
What is the opportunity?
UP for Learning & the Center for Creative Leadership will collaborate to create the time and space for learning, growth, team building and planning. Together we will lay the foundation from which to build your school‐based initiatives, providing ongoing coaching and skill development throughout the year.
You can earn proficiency-based high school credit for this work by creating an independent study. We will work with you and your adult partners to help you integrate the work into your Personalized Learning Plan (PLP).
- Orientation and training: October 19–20, 2018 (Common Ground Center, Starksboro, VT)
- Two-day mid-year training (to be scheduled in the winter at a central location)
- Power2 Summit & Closing event for reflection and celebration: May 1, 2019 (Lake Morey Resort, Fairlee, VT)
The team of three to four (2 youth and 1‐2 adults) will complete a written application that introduces the team members and explains their project.
Preference will be given to:
- Youth who have not previously joined in other structured leadership opportunities, including those who
- face resource barriers ( e.g., work responsibilities, transportation).
- School teams from communities impacted by an opportunity gap and/or with limited resources for
- participation in structured leadership opportunities.
Cost and Funding:
There is no cost for participating in the Emerging Leaders Forum. Funding has been provided by the Bay and Paul Foundations, the McClure Foundation, the Vermont Community Foundation, UP for Learning and the Center for Creative Leadership.
UP for Learning, a Vermont-based nonprofit organization, provides training, resource development, and ongoing support for a wide variety of opportunities for young people to assume meaningful roles in shaping their learning and their lives.
The Center for Creative Leadership is a globally recognized institution focused on leadership research and leadership education for leaders of all ages.
Contact for more information and an application:
Harry Frank: email@example.com / 802‐989‐4913